Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Truffle Macarons from Les Deux Garcons

Over the weekend, some friends turned up with a pretty green box.


'Fine French Desserts' it said underneath the words 'Les Deux Garcons'. As an adopted Londoner, Malaysia to me is still Land of Street Foods like Nasi Lemak and Char Kuey Teow. Great foods no doubt, but on the other end of the spectrum to fine french desserts. So imagine my very pleasant surprise when inside lay six perfectly formed truffle macarons.

That arresting waft of truffle always stops me dead in my tracks. I held one up to my nose and was like a sniffer dog on crack, finding crack. How a heady, savoury flavour can translate so well into a typically sweet biscuit is beyond me. What I liked the most was the cream filling being truffly enough and not overly sugary.


Like the rest of the world, KL has been hit hard by this macaron epidemic. I hear lots about Natalie's Gourmet Studio and Baby Cakes Sweet Shoppe (here's a good summary by Masak-Masak about macarons in KL), but not so much about these two gentlemen behind the green and gold box. From the little I know they operate out of Taman Desa and have an order ahead policy. Sounds like a Hungry Female inspection is in order.

I would also love to try their wasabi macarons. My mind starts dreaming up all the amazing Malaysian flavours one could put into these almond meringue wonders. Teh tarik, pandan or mangosteen perhaps? Till those come along, it's all about the truffle ones for me. Thank you K and C for introducing these to me!

Les Deux Garcons
16, Jalan 2/109E, Taman Desa, 58200 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 7980 0200
Visit their Facebook Page here



View Larger Map

9 comments:

Cinnamon and Truffle said...

Mmm... truffle. Clearly the best ingredient on the planet!

Love

Truffle

Hungry Female said...

It really is. If only I could get you to taste these! HF xx

Baby Sumo said...

Oh I love macarons - cant wait to try these!

Hungry Female said...

They do beautiful looking cakes too!

Baby Sumo said...

Actually I checked out their website and their cakes and macarons are pretty pricey... hope they're using really premium ingredients to justify the prices!

Nigel A. Skelchy said...

Amazing aren't they? Try the wasabi next time. Yummy! Slight crunch into a soft chewy centre.

Hungry Female said...

Baby Sumo - they don't come cheap. I must say the macarons were amongst some of the best I've tried, including those in London and Paris!

Nigel - Hello! Sold!

Dannii Stackhouse said...

Nigel, thanks for the wasabi ones last friday, darl!

Hungry Female, wanna check it out this Sat? Morning breakfast macaron and earl grey? :)

snakeCharmer said...

now you may find their retail outlet in bangsar. and may indulge all these macarons till your heart content. however, is best to do take away. check out that place, if you haven't. :) and truffles macaron is selling RM9 a piece.